We have recently seen many headlines regarding ice rescues and wanted to provide some safety information that could help to keep you, your family, and your pets safe.
We found these helpful tips from our friends at Colorado Springs Fire Department.
- Remember you ALWAYS take a risk if you go out on the ice!
- Stay off lakes & ponds that have frozen over as the ice can be unstable.
- Always keep your pet on a leash around the ice and NEVER attempt to rescue your pet if they fall in, call for help.
- NEVER go out on the ice alone, make sure you have someone there that can call for help if you fall through.
- Stay away from cracks, seams, pressure ridges, slushy areas and darker areas that signify thinner ice.